I had never done mind mapping before this assignment, so this was new to me! I used three different websites to create mind maps, or webs, to summarize and organize the article that we read: "Mind Mapping as a Teaching Resource." Here are the websites that I used and webs that I created:
1. Spicynodes:
This site was fairly easy to use, however, I did not find the mind map options very attractive. It gave me the options to edit content, style, and details, and to preview the map before publishing. Although there were several style options, I didn't find any of them attractive. One thing I really did love about this site, was that when you go to edit content, you can view the information that you have mapped in a list form. It simply lists headings with expanders, and you are able to expand each section to view what is already under it or to add more. The other sites didn't offer this option and it really helped me to see the organization of my mind map.
2. Popplet:
This was BY FAR my favorite site for mind mapping. It could not been
easier to use! The maps are very easy to manipulate and add to. You can
quickly and easily change the map. Each bubble added to your web has 4
options on it. You can edit the font, shape, and color of each part of
your web. You can also add pictures easily. There are many options on
this site to help you personalize your webs. Some setting options
include organization options for how the mind map appears, adding pics
and videos, different viewing modes, export options, languages, and
more. I also think that Popplet offers the most attractive maps of the
three sites that I explored. The program is super easy to use, and it
procudes easy to read maps for any audience. The bright colors and thick
lines make the maps more attractive and more organized for readers. I
would encourage students (young or old) to use this site for
mindmapping. It is extremely easy to use and helpful.
Sadly, I can't seem to get the embed code to work properly form my favorite one! So here is the link: http://popplet.com/app/#/1681690
3. WiseMapping:
WiseMapping, by far, offers the most options for customizing and sharing
your mind map. However, I felt like this site was the LEAST
user-friendly site of all. I found it very difficult to do anything.
Every time I wanted to add an idea, or edit the idea, or link the key
words, I was having to try several things and fail several times before I
got it right. It's not obvious like the other two sites. It also is not
as attractive as the other sites. With all of that being said, the
options on this site far outnumber the options available on the other
sites. For instance, there's an undo button, which I love....especially
since I made so many mistakes trying to figure out the program! :) You
can decide the shape of each object, add and delete topics, change the
colors of the topics and their borders. You can add notes or links to
the topics, which is a great tool for using mind maps for teaching. One
thing I liked a lot were the little icons you can add to your topics.
For example, on my Writing Notes bubble, I was able to add a little
sheet of paper with a pencil icon. There are also lots of sharing and
exporting options, including embedding, links, Excel, PDF, or JPG. This
also helps a lot when wanting to use your mind maps in the classroom.
You can also add other users to your mind map and give them the ability
to make changes as well. All in all, this is a great site, but it is
just very difficult to use and not extremely attractive.
References:
Coopers, N., & Edwards, S. (2010). Mind mapping as a teaching resource. The Clinical Teacher, volume 7,
(236-239).
https://shsu.blackboard.com/bbcswebdav/pid-990916-dt-content-rid-3461631_1/courses/LSSL539101214/Mind%20Mapping%20as%20a%20Teaching%20Resources.pdf#page=1&zoom=auto,27,820
No comments:
Post a Comment