Thursday, March 6, 2014

Podcasts

I was a little nervous when I saw this assignment, but I had a fun time doing it! I have always enjoyed listening to podcasts, but I have never created one myself. It seemed intimidating, but I found it to be fairly simple. Are you wondering why librarians or teachers would need to know how to create a podcast? What good could a podcast do in education? Well, there are many ideas that I found while working on this assignment. Librarians could use a podcast to promote their library to the campus, to promote new books that the library gets, or to do book talks, reviews, read-alouds, etc. Teachers could create a podcast to interact with their students outside the classroom...create an extension of the classroom. This is what I modeled with my podcast. Teachers could also have students create a podcast and use it as a way to assess their learning. Administrators could use podcasts to train their teachers without having to have several seperate meetings, or to make school-wide announcements. There are many ways that podcasts could be beneficial in education, and I look forward to exploring this further!

I used SoundCloud to create my podcast, and it was super easy! I really like the program, and it has a free and easy app to go along with it for the iPhone. To create my audio file for my podcast, I simply downloaded the app for SoundCloud. Once I had the app, I was able to hit record on the app and record my audio. I felt much more comfortable doing this than talking to a computer. The phone is less intimidating!


Once the audio was recorded, it saved it as a post under my account on SoundCloud.


From my phone, I could listen to the audio file to make sure that it sounded like I wanted.


There are options to share and everything from the app, but I decided to complete the assignment from my computer. Here is a short screencast of what I did once I went to my computer...I logged in to SoundCloud, got the embed code for the audio file, and then listened to the file again! Super easy!



Here is the podcast that I created for this assignment. We have been studying Aesop's Fables in the 4th grade class that I am student teaching in, so I based my podcast on that. :)



Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment