Friday, April 4, 2014

Word Clouds and Quips



I created the above word cloud using Tagxedo. The only trouble I had in creating this is that I had to install Microsoft Silverlight first. That was a quick dowload though and only took a minute. It was well worth it, because this site was the easiest to use! It was so easy to change colors and fonts, and there were lots of shapes to choose from...or I beleive you could even upload your own shapes. You could also alter the layout in which the words appear. I did not have to do anything to choose these words. I just uploaded the URL to my last blog entry, and it chose the words for me. I love the words it chose as important and the words that stand out the most! Awesome!


I created this image using Tagul. It was must more difficult to use, because it did not choose the words for me. I uploaded the URL, same as before, but it create an image with every little word. I then had to go into a table of all words in the selection, and I have to delete the words I didn't want...including "I", "and," "the." That took forever and was very annoying. I love the end result, but WAY too time consuming!

Wordle: Teens and Technology

I create this last image using Wordle. Can I just say...ugh! It took forever to get this done. I had issues with my java script...I had to download several things, change settings, etc. What a hassle! And for this end result....yuck! I downloaded the same URL, and it also used senseless words that were unimportant to the main idea. However, it did not give me the option to then go and delete any words I wanted...I was stuck with them. Hence why "that" and "and" are primary words in my picture. No thanks!

For Word Clouds, I would definitely use Tagxedo the most in my classroom. It was super easy and made a great quality image. I could use this tool by asking students to create word clouds for their own writing, for stories we read, for project involving research, word play, etc. This tool is a creative outlet for students to use to connect them with the words they learn and use and to bring enjoyment to words. I love it!



For these Dr. Seuss quotes, I created the top one using Recite This and the bottom one using Quip.io. I will say that both tools were easy to use. I liked Quip.io, because it was usable from the iphone. This will be easier for students. However, for this assignment, it made things a little bit more difficult, but only a little! I like both a lot!



I created these quotes using the same tools in the same order. Again, I love both. I will say that Recite This has way better choices for styles and creative looks. I think students would like this better. I could easily see students using these tools to share with me and their classmates their favorite quotes from books they are reading. I could also use these sites to create images to hang in my classroom or library to get students interested in books.

LOVE LOVE LOVE!


1 comment:

  1. Love the Albert Einstein Quote. I know where my library is.lol

    ReplyDelete