Lenhart, A. (2013) Teens, social media, and privacy:
reputation management, third party access & exposure to advertising. Pew Research Internet Project. Retrieved
from http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/06/25/teens-social-media-and-privacy-reputation-management-third-party-access-exposure-to-advertising/
This presentation covered the steps teens take (or do not
take) to manage their privacy on social media sites. There are many interesting
and some very alarming facts in this article. I was not surprised to see that
Facebook is still the dominant platform that teens use for social media. There
was a steady climb in Facebook membership from teens until 2011, then the
increase slowed down a lot, although membership has still grown slightly since
2011 (only 1% growth from 2011-2012). Adult membership on Facebook took a huge
jump from 2008-2011 (40% growth), which probably is a good clue as to why teen
membership slowed down at that point. Twitter, on the other hand, has increased
significantly since 2009 in teen membership. I wonder if most teens are moving
from Facebook to Twitter, or if they are just adding Twitter in addition to
Facebook. The two platforms are quite different, so my guess would be that it
is in addition to. In 2012, the top three social media platforms for teens were
Facebook (94%), Twitter (26%), and Instagram (11%). Instagram was brand new
then, so I would assume the percentage of teens on Instagram would be WAY more
than that now, in 2014.
I was a little surprised to see the type of information that
teens are sharing on their social media profiles. Most of them have their
profiles set to “private,” and still I think they share too much information.
Especially since most teens accept each and every friend request that comes
their way…whether they know the person or not. 92% of teens share their real
name…which is not that surprising. I know that my niece and nephew have fake
names on their profiles, but that’s because my sister made them, not because
THEY were trying to be safe. 91% of teens share photos of themselves. This is
more so for older teens, but I would say that is only because older teens more
likely have smart phones that they can take pictures with.
71% of teens share their school name. This is a lot more dangerous than they
probably realize, because this tells strangers where they live, their approximate
age, when they might be traveling to and from school, etc. This is more common
for older teens, and my assumption would be because older teens are more
involved in school extra-curricular activities so they are more likely to post
things about their games, competitions, etc. 53% of teens share their email
address and 20% their cell phone number on their profiles. I hate that teens
(even though only 1 out of 5) share their cell phone numbers. This just opens
up a lot of scary possibilities, such as strangers getting their numbers,
bullying, sexting, pranking, etc. Not a good idea! I think that when most teens
create their profile and add this information, they are thinking of their good
friends and family that will see it. The acquaintances, friends of friends,
ex-friends, etc. that are on their Facebook friends list are probably not in
the forefront of their mind, so they do not realize how dangerous it is to
share too much information.
As for privacy settings, only 60% of teens have their
Facebook settings set to private! That is way too low. 14% of teens have theirs
set as public! I think Facebook, and any other social media site, should make
it a requirement that anyone under the age of 18 has to have their profiles set
to fully private. Then again, teens just set up accounts and lie about their
age, so I am not sure how productive that would be. Twitter is even more
nerve-wracking, because 64% of teen Twitter users have their profiles set to
public. Granted, Twitter is a much more public forum and people tend to share
less private information in their short Tweets, but again, I think that teens
should be required to have private profiles and pages.
It
was interesting to read how teens manage their online reputation. Reputation is
a big deal, especially in your teen years, so I am glad to see that teens are
taking precautions to create a positive online reputation. 59% of teens delete
or edit posts. This is great, because teens are often known to post something
without thinking, so the fact that they go back and delete or edit these posts is
encouraging. 53% delete other people’s comments on their page, which is also a
good thing. I found it interesting that more girls than boys untag their
photos. I would guess that this is not for safety reasons, but because girls
are far more picky about how they look in photos! Another interesting
management point that is mostly done by girls is deleting and blocking people
on social media sites. I would think that this is because girls tend to be more
emotional when it comes to arguments and drama in the life of teens. When girls
fight, or a couple breaks up, or a friend is mean to another friend, it is
girls who are most likely to unfriend someone to prove a point. Boys tend to
ignore things like this.
When
reading about the concern that teens have over third parties using their
information, I was not very surprised to read that teens do not care much at
all. Most teens are not too concerned, probably because they really don’t know
what that means. Girls do show slightly more concern than boys. I did find it
interesting that those with bigger networks of “friends” are slightly less concerned
than those with smaller networks. My thoughts on this are that teens with
larger networks are probably the ones that accept friend requests from people
that they barely know or do not know at all. They are also the teens that
probably have less monitoring from their parents. The fact that they accept so
many friend requests, in my opinion, shows that they have less concern for
their security and their privacy. Which makes since that they have less concern
over third parties using their personal information. When asked about how they
feel regarding advertising practices, teens have mixed feelings. 30% of teens
say that they have gotten inappropriate ads on their social media pages…which
could mean that the ads should have been for older eyes only, or even would be
more appropriate for younger users. One quote that was eye-opening to me was
the 13 year old male that said “I usually just hit allow on everything. Because
I feel like it would get more features. And a lot of people allow it, so it’s
not like they’re going to single out my stuff. I don’t really feel worried
about it.” This just shows the lack of concern that some teens have for their
safety and their privacy. It also show how clueless teens are about the fact
that advertisers and other third parties use their specific information to
target their sales.
The
most surprising information in this presentation was the concern of parents.
Only 53% of parents are very concerned about their children’s interactions with
strangers online. Are the other 47% of parents just that confident that their
kids cannot interact with strangers, or could they care less if they do or
not?! As a parent, I feel like this will always be a huge concern. Only 49% of
parents are concerned about their child’s reputation management. Again, do the
other 51% not care about their child’s reputation online? I would hope that
more than 44% of parents would be concerned that their teen’s online activities
will impact their future opportunities. It is sad that more parents are not
expressing concern for their student’s behaviors and involvement in online
social media sites. If more parents were concerned, then more teens would be
concerned as well!
Mining PEW – 24 pages (151 total)
No comments:
Post a Comment